Monday, August 25, 2008

The Big Apple.

So I arrived New York City at night and was supposed to meet up with the boys at Penn Station in Madison Square Garden. But I received a text from them on instructions to get myself on the subway and make my way to Queens. Once there I was to call them and they would pick me up from the bus station above the subway stop.

Well, firstly my bus from DC arrived earlier than scheduled. And the phone I was using (Ching Hei and I switched phones... long story...) was dying on me. And no matter how many times I called those boys, the call could not get through (apparently AT&T sucks... big time). So there I was in Queens close to midnight on the side of a really deserted road, alone. Obviously, after reading my previous entry, you probably know how I was feeling.

So I will spare you the details on how paranoid and anxious I was feeling and jump straight into the conclusion. I found a 24-hr Dunkin Donuts where I had my supper and devised a plan to contact the guys. Firstly, I tried to reserve the phone's battery by switching the phone off. Secondly, I made friends with the guy behind the register (to borrow his phone). Thirdly, I called Zic's number over and over again. When all that failed, I tried to randomly call the numbers in Ching Hei's phone in search of his uncle (whose house we were bunking in for the next few nights). My efforts paid off and I got through to the uncle (with Ching Hei beside him) and told them where I was. And then the phone died (not before I wrote down the uncle's number on a paper napkin). After over an hour of overreacting and waiting, they finally picked me up.

So that was how my second night in New York went. Quite 'uneventful'.

The next morning we woke up early to follow Ching Hei's uncle to the bus stop and then subway stop. He was heading off to work in New Jersey and he was showing us how to take the bus and subway train and all that. We bought our very own Metro Cards which we could use freely for the entire week.

Our first stop on that Tuesday morning was Museum of Modern Art a.k.a. MoMA.
Manhattan city scene:
Trump tower (in the centre) along Avenue 5:
Hmmm... I wanna go with some important church:
MoMA:
And... it had to be closed on Tuesdays:
This is Rockerfeller Centre:
This is so Superman...:
Now, this is St. Patrick's Cathedral:
Once again, scenes down Avenue 5. THE shopping belt:
LV anyone?: Beginning of Central Park (along 5th Avenue) on the Grand Army Plaza:
Towering skyline around Central Parl:
Horse-drawn carriages like in the movies:
Artists working on every inch of the side of the road (coincident or not, all the artists we saw, were Asians...):
Somewhere in Central Park:Here we have the Central Zoo. Seals!!!:
Penguin enclosure:
Polar bear... which we think is mechanical. Cause it keeps swimming back and forth:
Its a small zoo. Very small. Don't expect much cause its only 8 bucks to get in. No lions nor zebras (like in Madagascar the movie)... A bit disappointed with that.
Tropical rainforest habitat enclosure was really impressive:
And there were other smaller creatures too:
Fun place to bring your kids, but it is not really for the adults. Unless what you are hunting are (not animals but) MILFs.
THE fountain in Central Park:
Yes, this is the fountain that has been featured on so many movies... Recently, the song-and-dance sequence in Enchanted:
While we were in Central Park, we noticed (not one, not two) but four independant film crew; two of which were probably filming scenes for either a movie or show, one for a commercial, and one for some modelling reality show...
Under the bridge connecting the mall:
Perfect day:
Zic reliving his childhood:
Just us three:
I nearly fell:
And yes, this is THE pond (that you see in all the movies shot in New York):
And this is THE bridge. Everything HAS to happen on this bridge:
Ehem... filming a commercial?: This was where Little Nicky (Adam Sandler) was sleeping in the movie of the same name. The same exact boulder:
This was where many heroes went to 'emo' in many movies:
And this is called the Great Lawn:
Can you see why it is so 'great'?:
And this obelisk is the Cleopatra's Needle. One of three (other two can be found in London and Paris) it was built in 1600BC and was a gift to the United States in the late 19th century by the Khedive of Egypt:
Examples of residential architecture found at the peripheral of Central Park:
More artists and painters:
This is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Otherwise known as the Met:
It is really HUGE:
It has everything from antiquities from the Roman empire to Van Gogh paintings!:
Everything is so ancient (and priceless)!:
From Greek and Roman, we move to the Egyptian empire:
Yes, that is an actual temple:
Medieval paintings:
And furniture:
And armour...:From every corner of the world:
From Chinese paintings to African masks, this museum has everything. Everything.
Modern contemporary art:
One of Picasso's many paintings:
View of Central Park and Manhattan from the sky garden:
The roof garden has more exhibition space:
It was impossible to finish looking at the things in the museum in one day! I could only manage to see half the things there!
From one museum we move on to another. The Guggenheim Museum.
It was designed by a REALLY famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright.
Unfortunately, it was closing for the day (we were there at 5-ish).
So we decided that we would go there again the next morning.
This is the Empire State building obviously:
That was when we decided to go see a Broadway show. But first, we stumbled into this:We unknowningly stumbled into Times Square:
It was (I know this sounds cliche) so surreal. The hustle and bustle; the traffic and crowds; the lights and sounds...
Of course I had to do this (re-enactment from Heroes; the one with Hiro):
YATTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ('I made it' in Japanese)
Zic and his 'beng' shot:
My infamous jumping shot:
This was posed:
Models?:
I love this shot:
After an hour or so of cam-whoring in the middle of the road, in the middle of Times Square, we finally made it to the theater: Which Broadway show did we watch?:
Well, it has to be, 'Chicago'... and all that Jazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
It was the probably one of the most expensive seats I ever paid for (subsequently the best view I ever got in any show) and the show was probably one of the best performance I have ever seen in my 23 years of life!
More of Times Square at night:
Overwhelming for a small 'country-bumpkin' like me. Too many things to take in...

Tune in for more NYC.

No comments: