Thursday, August 21, 2008

Boston: Part 2

Harvard!!!
Harvard University:
My future alma mater's founder, John Harvard:
They say touching his shoe would make your dream of becoming a student there a reality. Obviously, we were so desperate:
Memorial Church at Harvard Square:
Harvard Square:
Sever Hall:
And THE Carpenter Centre by THE Le Corbusier:
ARGH!!! My first Corbu building... Its the one and only building in America which he designed (UN Building was technically not entire his...). Its also one of his latest works.
The ramp leads you into and through the building (west elevation shown here):
Brisque windows, ramps and pilotis:
You can see into the studios from the platform/ramp:
East elevation: I still can't believe it:
More buildings around Harvard:
I think this is the Memorial Hall:
And this is Harvard Graduate School of Design in Gund Hall:
The school has an interesting design; the studios are in a series of steps. That means those in the upper years (or studios above) can look down into the lower studios. Now that is what I call vertical studio.
My future school:
This is Widener Library:
So after the visits to the schools, we went to the CO-OP, where we bought books and... I bought a Harvard sweatshirt...
Poseur!
But I do have to buy school uniform, don't I?
Ehem...
Special thanks to Ching Hei's relatives and friends of relatives for being hospitable hosts showing us around Boston.
While Ching Hei and Zic spent the night there in Boston, I took a bus to New York and then to Washington that night... alone. I was nervous as hell. (More on that later)

No comments: