Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Denver Glacier.

I decided to head down to Denver Glacier on my last weekend in Skagway. My last camping trip. And my last hike before I retire (or so I thought).

And the girls decided to join in as well. Tsveta, Ralitza, Mariya, Yoana and Tsvetelina (Jasmin, not in the picture):
The boys too; my favourite boys. Bryan, Chris and Kevin:
The cabin cum caboose:
The rail tracks were just beside the cabin:
Off hiking we go:
I am one lucky man, :) :
12 is a pretty large group; from left: Tsveta, Chris, Kim (behind), Ralitza, Kevin (behind), Jasmin, Tsvetelina, Lauren (behind), Yoana, Mariya, Bryan (behind) and me:
Yoana, Ralitza and Tsveta:
Hiking halfway throught the trail was hell... The vegetation was overgrown and path almost invisible.

Then we reached a point (far away from the glacier) where there was a clearing. Denver Glacier from far:
I was clearly disappointed. Cause unlike Laughton Glacier when we could actually walked on the glacier and ice, we could only see Denver Glacier from far. Or we could have bashed through another hour or more of vegetation...

But we headed back to camp instead.

We found GOLD. No kidding, gold flakes in a tiny little stream:
When we got back, what else but a campfire? Bryan and his marshmallow stick or should I say sticks...
While the girls went back, we decided to stay on to camp overnight. There was a bridge where we were and the train tracks run over it. So this was us, over the river, in the middle of the bridge, thinking there wasn't going to be any trains...
What do you think we did? Of course, we each took a turn crying wolf. In this case it was 'crying train'.

Until Bryan actually saw a train (it was actually two small service trains) from afar.

We ran as fast as we could, actually it was hard to run on the tracks, we had to take small steps at a time... It was really scary... lol.

Us, safe on 'land':
So this was what we saw:
It was really funny as hell.

And the rest of the night was a night to remember... Wolf-crying into the night on the bridge, skits, marshmallow-roasting, laughing and talking...
Thanks guys, it was unforgetable. One of the best nights I ever had.

No comments: