Sunday, June 29, 2008

The hike that made my legs wobbly.

Oh, did I forget to mention? A new Singaporean came to town. His name is Waikit and he would be staying till mid-September, long after all the other Singaporeans come back.

So Tingyi and I took him on a hike to Upper Reids Falls and Icy lake. What was supposed to be a starters' hike turned out to be one hell of an adventure.

The hike took longer than we expected. And much more energy...

After more than an hour, we reached Icy Lake; though its not icy anymore since its summer:After that, we hiked up to Upper Reids Falls.

We thought we found Upper Reids but it was actually 'Middle Reids':

This is me after I feel on my butt and almost fell into the rapids...
So we decided to hike past the rapids and try to bash straight down to Lower Reids Fall, which was a bad idea... We thought we almost made it, but when our tracks turned to be one foot wide tracks on the side of the cliff, I was shaking.

View of Lower Reids, zoomed in (we were actually a few hundred feet away from safe ground, hanging onto trees and shrubs growing on the sides of the cliff):

I was scared shit.

Then our track came to a dead end. It was now a 10cm wide edge on the side of the cliff; a vertical drop. We had to turn back.

My legs were worst than jell-o.

We went back to 'Middle Reids' and took a breather:Then we decided to head back home. But we found this instead:
Which after following the big black pipes, led us to the actual Upper Reids Falls:
There you go, three very happy, very relieved Singaporeans:

No comments: