Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July: Parade

What better way to start the morning of 4th of July than with a huge all-time favourite American breakfast, the pancakes?

I went with Zic to Sweet Tooth Cafe and had these:
The hot chocolate taste like Milo, I swear... Oh my God, feeling homesick...
Bumped into my gals, Jasmine and Mary (Carl, Mary's boyfriend, at the back):
Parade started with the kids section:
Native Americans:
If you see clearly, that's Bush on top of the fire engine:

Veterans (I think... or just some really old people...):
Bagpipe band (really cool):
Canadian rangers (way cool to see them in person):
Skagway was known to be the 'New York of Alaska' and also cause it was the gateway to the Gold Rush, hence the golden Statue of Liberty:
The Lion should have asked the Wizard of Oz for stronger pairs of legs:
My favourite float, 'The Tourist Trap'. Skagway IS a Tourist trap:
Other funny floats: The parade went around twice, on both sides of the street. And so that was the end of the parade:
Next up, Zic and I signed up for the egg toss (Toni beside me):
Never have I seen so many people doing this ever together... Shows how much this little town has 'heart'.
So the egg tossing stretches along the entire street:
Imagine the mess.
So those with the eggs left unbroken continued tossing till a record breaker or a champion pair is crowned.
Zic and I broke our egg after the third toss... Zic threw way to high. Bummer...
Bryan (catching the egg, below) and Chris (not in picture) was one of the last few teams standing:
I think this guy and his partner got second place:
After the egg toss, there werea lot of other games played around the town.
Wacky characters:
The Vietnamese 'gang' too got into the mood (too much into the mood):
Other games... Arm wrestling for all ages:
Tug-of-war:
And a slow bike race. Zic took part in it. And it was really hard to cycle slowly without lifting your foot of the paddle...
Actually it wasn't much of a race... This guy who won just stayed on the spot. So it was down to him and another kid. It was simply a battle of those who can stay on the longest:
That was it. This was how the 4th of July was celebrated in this little town.

This is what the town has to offer, not much, but plenty for me.

No comments: